Sending and receiving funds are just a click away. Whether it’s sending travel money to a friend or
slipping some grocery funds to your son at university, Interac® e-Transfers are a fast, convenient, and
secure way to send funds through the trusted Interac® Network to anyone with an email address or mobile
phone and a Canadian bank account.
How to send and receive an e-Transfer
- Ensure you know the recipient’s name and email address or mobile phone number.
- Log in to your account via Mainstreet online banking or mobile banking using your debit card number and Personal Access Code (PAC).
- Go to the Transfers page and select Send INTERAC® e-Transfer from the menu.
- Set up your recipient(s) by entering their name and email address on the Add/Delete Recipients
page. You can also choose to notify your recipient via text, in which case you would enter their mobile
- Create a security question that only they will know the answer to. If it's a friend, for example,
the question might be: "our favorite place for appetizers”.
- Once you've set up your profile and recipient(s) select your recipient from the dropdown list on
the Send INTERAC® e-Transfer page.
- Indicate the amount you'd like to send, and optionally include a Message to the recipient.
- Click the Send Transfer button
Note: Your account will be debited the amount you have sent, as well as a service fee once you click Send Transfer.
- Funds are immediately debited from your account and the recipient is alerted by email and/or text
message that they have received an e-Transfer that they can then deposit into their own account
securely using their computer or smartphone and their own financial institutions online banking site.
Receiving and depositing:
- Click on the link provided in the email or text (to be taken to the Interac® website).
- Select the bank/credit union from the available list that you would like to deposit the funds to.
- Login to your online account with that bank/credit union.
- Provide the answer to the security question.
- Accept the transfer.
- Typically, the funds will be immediately available; however, allow up to 30 minutes for system processing for the funds to arrive in your account.
Enhanced e-Transfer features: Request Money and Autodeposit
Request Money: Easily request money owed. When you send a request for money, the recipient is notified instantly and can accept the request. If accepted, the requested amount will be automatically deposited into your account and you will be notified when funds are available
Autodeposit: Receive money directly in to your bank account, eliminating the need for a security question through a one-time registration. If someone sends money to you by e-Transfer, it would be automatically deposited into the bank account that you registered with.